Sunday, January 19, 2014

BIRTH Day Advice


 
 
     Seven years ago today I became a mother. Sure I had endured a full pregnancy and all of the “fun” that goes with it, but on this day seven years ago I no longer was just a host to the unborn. At the request (clears throat…demands) of my obgyn my son was evicted from the womb and he grudgingly joined this world at 10:38 a.m. on January 19th, 2007. I was ill prepared for this moment as I was ill prepared for the majority of the moments of the pregnancy/my life leading up to it. 
 
     However, on that day I was finally allowed to open a letter that my mother had written for me in high school. The letter was to be open after the birth of my first child and was one of the few things that I actually remembered to pack to bring to the hospital. In that letter my mother offered up some much needed advice. As I lay in bed in my room in the mother baby unit of the hospital, trying desperately to not drop the 8 lb 4 oz sleeping baby in my arms I opened this letter.

 
     She wrote:  "You are about to embark on the most beautiful, exciting, and frustrating journey of your life."  And as a young and new mother, I had no idea what she meant.  Seven years later I can rightfully say that I have a better understanding of these words.  I have enjoyed his quirky personality, seen beauty in things that he has done that only a mother could, been a part of his adventures, and a part of his story.  I have also come to the realization that raising a child is THE most difficult and frustrating thing a person can do.  There have been days that I wondered if I was going to make it through (or if he was).   Actually these account for more days than I care to admit.  She wrote: “Through all of this there will be moments when you feel helpless and times when you are so proud you could pop.”  I can attest that these both happen quite frequently.      

     She also told to me to "enjoy it all- it passes all too quickly" and as I sit here on my son's 7th birthday I am beginning to realize what she means.  What happened to those days, those weeks, those months, those years?  How has it been seven years already?  It seems like time has flown by.  There have been times that the important things have sometimes been superseded by those that (looking back) weren't so important because frankly I’m not flawless.  But I am doing what I can and I am definitely looking forward to enjoying the years to come--frustrating days and all.     
HAPPY 7th BIRTHDAY AIDAN ANTONIO!

 
 

1 comment:

  1. I remember being asked to write that letter and am glad that it was an assignment worthwhile. You are a great Mom. Love you and you babies.

    ReplyDelete